Mar 7, 2024

WHEN ALL LINES UP...AND YOU COME TIGHT!

Admiring a beautiful summer run steelhead before watching her swim away.

Recently, I was lucky enough to fish with my good friend and guide buddy, Sam Sickles chasing our favorite fish, utilizing our favorite method...swinging for somewhat aggressive winter steelhead that are willing to chase a swung fly.  We've caught our fair share of steelhead using other methods, but swinging flies is definitly our favorite way.

We met early morning for the considerable drive to our launch destination.  We wanted to be on the water just before daylight to take full advantage of the day.  Drive time chats consisted of almost everything steelhead and how the river was in near perfect condition.  He had already had some success in prior days and needless to say, I was pretty stoked for the day.  I've ALWAY'S had a great time fishing with Sam, regardless of whether or not fish are caught.  Never any pressure to perform on his end or mine.  Just two buds out for a day of fishing.

I get a kick out of Sam because in every run I've ever fished with him, before we even step in the water he's bringing the confidence level up by saying..."this is my favorite run on the whole river. we oughtta get one here."  I like that.  I mean, might as well be confident in what you're doing and where your fishing.  Confidence is part of the game, a big part.  What I think is funny about it is that he literally says it in every run, no joke.  When he says that, In my mind I think..."what's my favorite run?" and the responce to myself is the one I am currently fishing in.

My intention for this post is to talk about the "Come Tight" part of it all.  Undoubtably you've heard the saying..."the TUG is the Drug" and even though this saying has been around for a long time, It's still the pinnacle of the process. It's that moment we dream of and can't wait for.  We endure hours, sometimes days waiting for the eat and sometimes we question our own sanity, especially in the winter.  At times, it can take extreme patience between grabs.  Getting caught up in the rhythm of it all, we make a sweet cast, set the fly up for the swing and then start talking to ourselves..."man I should just get crushed right now!"

I've tried to explain it to my wife, my kids, anyone who will listen many times, that catching a steelhead is always nice, but when I step into a juicy run, my adrenalin is already in full swing.  The anticipation.  My heart is pounding, the excitement of the possiblity of hooking and landing a steelhead is so strong in me, that I've told friends that I need to catch a fish to calm down.  In comparison to some fisheries where the adrenaline rush comes after the hook set...with swinging flies for steelhead, the rush starts the second I look at a run and step in.  

I'm sure we can agree, when it comes to hunting steelhead, it can consume you if not careful.  Everything becomes all about steelhead, your thoughts, your conversations and you life style reflect a die hard steelheader.  This applies to fly fisherman and gear fisherman alike.  At this point in my life there are only two fish that I've pursued so far that have kept me awake at night in anticpation, and those are Steelhead and Tarpon.  If you're like me, you go over your equipment like a surgeon, you make list to make sure you don't forget anything and the days leading up to your trip are filled with prepartion for the day.  You are checking the weather forcast, the river level forcast on and on...

This!...this is the reason you endure the elements of time, weather and patience!
Look at that thing!  I mean, stunning! Sam did everything right after the eat!

Let's talk about the "come tight" for a bit.  When I guided, most folks would ask what do I do after they eat the fly?  That was one of the major questions often asked and rightfully so.  It's an important issue, and inquiring minds wanted to know.  Especially those first time customers or those that just didn't do it very often and hadn't become seasoned by experience.  Funny thing about answering the question is that no matter how articulated and consice I was in explaining the answer, almost everyone would absolutely forget everything we talked about when the eat actually happend.  I've seen folks freeze on the eat, dazed and confused to what just happened, to folks that set the hook so hard that if they did stick the fish it most likely would have broken it's neck or died of shock.

There's a fair amount of debate out there on whether or not to carry a loop, to set the hook or not to set the hook.  I personally don't carry a loop and I personally set the hook.  I personally LOVE to set the hook!  When I say "set the hook" it's really not what you think.  My setting the hook is more like a steady long sweep with my rod tip low and towards the bank.  It's not a break neck type of hook set, but again it's a firm side sweep with steady pressure once the fish has turned and taking out line.  I think of it as something like tug of war.  When the fish has turned and taking line, I simply sweep to the bank side and pull on the tight line to help "seat the hook" in the corner of the jaw (see photo below).  This has proven to be very, very effective for me over the years.  That doesn't mean its 100% foolproof and I never miss or lose a fish, because I do.  But I'll tell you that, for me, it's pretty rare that I miss or lose very many fish in a season.

Others swear by carrying a loop, that it improves their odds drastically, and it may.  I just haven't personally experienced that it does.  Folks that carry loops, lose or miss fish too.  If you haven't made a choice try both and see which you prefer.  I truly love using a click & pawl type reel, such as the Hardy Marquis Salmon series reels or the Hardy Widespool Perfects.  This allows the fish to easily turn and take line from the reel before I set the hook. 
Which is why some carry a loop, in that when the fish turns and takes the loop out, you can then come tight on the fish and the odds of successfully landing the fish are increased.  Even when I'm using a non-click & pawl type reel, such as a Tibor Signature Series, Galvan Torque or Sage Spey reel, I'll set the drag loose enough, that when a fish eats and turns with the fly, it can take line without causing a backlash. When he takes enough line out that I can't stand it any longer, I'll set the brakes on him by putting my hand on the reel before coming tight on em.  Hope that all makes sence.

Summer Steelhead with a 'come back" fly, the Kalamath Intruder!

Side Note: In the photo above, this steelhead had originally tried to eat a Jerry French Black and Blue "Dirty Hoh" (photo below on the left) during the swing, he grabbed it 3 times but just wouldn't commit.  Thought I'd try another cast and he wouldn't touch it. So, I tied on the much smaller "Kalamath Intruder" in the same Black and Blue color (because that's what it originally went after) and the very first swing, nearly got the rod ripped from my hands with an explosive, amazing eat!  Look closely and you'll notice that the hook on the Kalamath Intruder is ever so slightly bent out.  Not always will they comeback to a fly, but boy I sure love it when they do!

Going smaller with similar color is never a bad idea for a come back fly!


Parting Shot:

Next time, you're lucky and come tight and bring that fish to hand, take a moment to look at it, really look at it, admire it, look at the beauty of her markings and the journey you both took to have this moment together bankside.  Then let her go, and look forward to the next.

So, where am I going with all this?  I don't really know. Maybe it's self encouragement to help endure the elements until I come tight again.  Maybe it's in hopes of encouraging others to do the same.  Maybe it's me reminising all the hours and sometimes days between fish that I slow down a bit more and discover something new on the river that I hadn't seen before.  Maybe I'm realizing that it's not all about the numbers of fish I catch but the expeirence of each one that I do.  There's something about a fish that makes you loose sleep over it, that brings your heart rate up like a work out, when you finally get that eat, something about them that makes you spend major time, money and effort in pursuing them.

I guess my point might be..."that it ALL matters."  Everything done from start, to the point of releasing the prize matters.  It keeps you connected to the sport and what you love doing.  So, the next time you're lucky enough to come tight, try your best to be calm, cool and collected.  Understand that it's a game.  You win some, you lose some, but it's fun to play.  You'll find what works best for you and you'll become efficient at it and when you do, the "odds will forever be in your favor."

Book a Trip w/Sam:
Sam Sickles | Steelhead Outfitters
Ph:  541-400-0855


Thank you for spending your time reading this, I hope you enjoyed it.

GFS Team
John G.

https://www.gorgeflyshop.com/store/pc/Sale-Closeouts-c38.htm

"The Gorge"

Gorge Fly Shop Team - 541.386.6977


"Fly Fish the World with Us"

No comments :

Post a Comment

  © 'and' Steelhead.com Mike Prine 2009-2014

Back to TOP