Sep 14, 2020

The Golden Man

Photo credit: Above the Northwest
 
No this post is not political, however when I first saw this photo it did speak to me. I travel through Salem often and over the Marion st. bridge. For a brief second you can see the 23ft tall 8.5 ton bronze sculpture with gold leaf finish that sits atop the Oregon State Capitol, or rather the "Golden Man" or "Gold Man" as many call him including my six year old son. The photo above was taken by Above the Northwest photographer from a drone in Oregon's capital (Salem) less than a week ago. It's a up close shot, a rare closeup few ever see and even rarer shot due to Oregon's current state of fire. Speaking of fire, did you know Oregon's capital building burned down twice, the first only 11 days after it was completed in 1855 and again in 1935, but it to was built again and completed in 1938.
 
Fast forward and 2020 marches on: For our family, the first day of school has been cancelled due to air quality. I'll rephrase that, first day of distance learning from our own home has been cancelled. Garbage service has been greatly delayed. Forest lands all across Oregon have been shut down. Let's not forget about Covid-19 and all that it has brought. Roadways I travel to fish and go on Jeep runs have lost homes, gas stations, and marinas. So I sit here thinking about winter, my mind travels to cooler destinations. Casting in the rain, what gear do I need still or rather want? Maybe a good mountain snow storm would lift my spirits, I don't know, a guy can get lost sifting through flies. How many times can one layout his fishing gear? Where has the time gone? What time is it anyways, can you tell?
 
Ready for a Jeep run, just not today.
 
Moving Forward: Before I do, this made me think again about the Pioneer. With all the statues and monuments getting taken down or vandalized (again, not a political post) I think about the above photos. Why is he up there, how did he get there? I don't recall being taught about him in school, maybe I was out fishing that day. Again, my six year old talks about him so I decided to know more. Upon researching I found he was transported to Oregon via the Panama Canal and transported by train to Salem, and by truck to the capital building. Oregon didn't have the proper equipment ready to hoist him atop the capital right away so he stood and was mocked and made fun of by critics for his puny axe, gold locks and tiny blanket. Fortunately the artist came to his defense, explaining he was not modeled to be a woodsmen, but rather he explained. "His small axe was the type used to build a home, and the canvas tarp over his shoulder came from his covered wagon or tent. Oregon Pioneer's purpose was meant to portray the hardy settler who journeyed to Oregon from afar to make himself a home in this beautiful place." This beautiful place, I read that description and thought, how cool and it makes perfect sense. Still standing after 82 years, the Oregon Pioneer is the modern man. So let's move forward.

Side note: Did you know Peacock Bass, snook and tarpon can be found in the Panama Canal?
 
Time to plan ahead: As Kyle Reece once said, "There is no fate but what we make for ourselves." One of my favorite quotes that says to me, take charge in your future. Carpe diem when the opportunity presents itself. So if you can fish, go fish, if you can breathe in clean air, go get some. If you can be in the outdoors, be thankful and admire it, pause and take note because for many Oregonians and those in the Pacific Northwest, their homes are gone. Jeeps lost, fly rods burned to a crisp.
 
Just like Oregon's capital building, Oregonian's will rebuild. We are #OregonStrong. We remain hopeful the air will clear soon, the fires will subside and a little more normalcy will return before the year ends. Our family will still make the best of the current situation, finish strong... I hope. Fishing is still on the calendar for the year, I still have a new Galvan Torque and a couple sage rods to test out so I can't wait to get back out and #exploremore.
 
 
- Mike
 
 

Shop Note: The Gorge Fly Shop Team wishes you all well, we remain open at 3200 Lower Mill Dr. Hood River, Oregon 97031. Normal business hours remain in effect. You can call or email for questions or updates at 541-386-6977.

Headline Photo Note: Thank you to our new friend at Above the Northwest for the sad but telling shot of Salem, Oregon. He did have permission to take this photo from what we have been told. 


https://www.gorgeflyshop.com/store/pc/Sale-Closeouts-c38.htm

"The Gorge"

Gorge Fly Shop Team - 541.386.6977


"Fly Fish the World with Us"

No comments :

Post a Comment

  © 'and' Steelhead.com Mike Prine 2009-2014

Back to TOP