Sep 11, 2020

Misfits on the fly

Non-target species, do you appreciate them or despise them? 

Fish are opportunist! They rarely pass up an enticing meal. Any well presented fly could be devoured by any fish that reside in that watershed. 

Are all fish inhabiting your water a target species? Probably not. But what does catching a non-target species do to your experience? Is it welcome? Or is it just a nuisance? 

I could tell you a six pack worth of stories of actual anglers losing their shit over a non-target by-catch. Some stories are not pretty. Personally, I don't understand. 

I often read a blog of a professional angler who claims to have over 400 fish species caught on fly rod. Everyone of them is special to him no matter how big or small they are. 

So take the odd photo of the non target fish and remember the good times. In my eyes all fish are beautiful. Remember no matter what species you catch that fish has already survived great odds to grow to the point of being catch-able in the first place. 


I've caught many catfish on the fly with the biggest to date being 10lb. This one was in a rock crevice exactly where you'd expect to catch a big bass. He hit hard and headed for deep water. The fly is my own version of Chuck Kraft's Clawdad. He fought hard and never gave up. A respectful catch in my eye's. 

On a few rare occasions I've witnessed a non target species directly interfere in the pursuit of the target species. It's disappointing but it happens. You can't blame the fish, they are just opportunist. This jack pictured above ran out in front of the target Tarpon and snatched my fly. The picture reminds me of this event.


Once past the challenge of finding crappie catching them on the fly is the easy part. Patience is needed but they are willing eaters when given a chance. 


Although I've caught a few random crappie when bass fishing it wasn't until I started targeting them with float and fly methods that I was able to find consistent action. They are beautiful fish, loads of fun and make a great shore lunch.


The catch of a bluegill or sunfish is not such a big deal but what attracts me is the variation of colors and sub species. This one pictured is a great example of this. 

While easy taken on small streamer flies the real fun to these is dry fly with flies like small dragons and damsels. I've seen sunny's leap out of the water to grab a damsel fly.


Below, this Spotted Bass came from the Ozark region. They resemble largemouth but strike and fight more like what smallmouth are known for.



 This healthy fish with crimson red eyes was quickly returned to live and fight another day. 



Catfish on Popper!? Yes, it's true and has now occurred twice for me.



This cool looking rock bass is considered genetically unique to the White River watershed and is officially named the Ozark Bass. 


Perch tend to hug bottom so to catch them your fly better be hugging bottom too. Find them, get a fly to them and it's game on!

Not sure of the species of this jack salmon caught in the southern Chile region. While small in size it put up a hot fight with many blistering fast runs and several aerial leaps.


Several walleye have bit me off before I actually landed one on the fly. Light tippet is no match for their sharp teeth.



If you fish water with White Bass, same family as the Striped Bass, you cannot help to eventually hook up with one of these. They can be a ton of fun if you happen upon a school of them. Action can be fast and furious.

Caught alot of the Columbia River Pike Minnow or formerly known as a Squawfish. This one Gabe caught might be the largest I've seen. They fight hard at first but quickly give in.
Dan caught this healthy specimen 

I can think of many more by catches that I just don't have photos for them such as freshwater drum, black drum, shark, whitefish, pike, chub, sculpin and even caught a sturgeon while bass fishing on the Columbia. 

I enjoyed everyone of these catches. Just like the fish, I guess that makes me an opportunist as well.
Greg

1 comment :

  © 'and' Steelhead.com Mike Prine 2009-2014

Back to TOP