Jun 23, 2022

Fishpond | Switchback Pro Wading Systems


Over the years, and more recently, I’ve become less and less of a fan of fishing with a vest and more of a sling pack or hip pack fan.  Main reason is I really like to have my chest area free of anything that can get in my way.  I feel more freedom without something in the way.  As primarily a steelhead fisherman that fishes with a two handed rod 99.9% of the time, I typically can carry all I need in the pouch of my waders.  I just find that while swinging flies for steelhead I don’t need to carry a ton of stuff.


That being said, I am planning a two week road fly fishing trip to Montana in mid-September to fish a bunch of streams that I have only dreamed of fishing at this point.  Knowing that I will be fishing streams that I am a total novice on, I feel I will need to carry more gear than on a typical day of steelhead fishing.  I want, or should I say, need a bag that will carry that gear, including a net, and keep everything out of my way, yet easily accessible when needed.  So, the Fishpond Switchback Pro Wading System belt will be joining me on this epic road trip (at least for me it will be an EPIC trip).

One of the main reasons I am attracted to this system is that I really like where the net sits and its position in relation to my back (see photo below).  In the past I have used sling packs that held nets, but the net was held at the top of the pack and extended up over my head and that presented challenges when hiking through the brush because the net would get caught on tree branches or brush.  The Fishpond Switchback Pro Wading System puts the net down at my waist and mid back, near my shoulders allowing me to walk without getting hung up on the branches.


Another thing I really like about this system is that the pack can be put on either side and slid from rear to front when needing to access it.  When done, just slide it back out of your way.  Super simple and much nicer than older hip packs where you had to slide the belt and pack around to the back to get it out of the way.




PACK FEATURES:

  • Includes wader belt with net slot, 5L pack, Tacky Fly Doc, and shoulder strap

  • Ambidextrous design for left, or right shoulder orientation

  • Large main pocket with interior divider and 2 stretch pockets

  • Magnetic drop-down pocket with 2 interior stretch pockets and 1 zipper pocket

  • Exterior velcro patch for Tacky Fly Dock

  • Built-in net slot (see photo above)

  • Non-slip shoulder pad and work station with tool attachments and velcro pad 4 tool attachment points on pack for retractors, hemostats, floatant holders, and more


If you are in need of a waist pack and carry a net, consider the Fishpond Switchback Pro Wading System.  A very well thought out pack, designed and created by Fishpond  from years of experience, trial and error.  I believe this will be my go to waist pack for years to come.  We have plenty of these in stock at the Gorge Fly Shop, place your order online at www.gorgeflyshop.com or give us a call if you have any questions at all.  We are here to help.


Here is a quick link to get you to the Fishpond Switchback Pro Wading System on our website:


Look for a follow up extensive review of this pack during or after my trip in September, complete with photos, pro’s and con’s.


See you out on the water…

JG


https://www.gorgeflyshop.com/store/pc/Sale-Closeouts-c38.htm

"The Gorge"

Gorge Fly Shop Team - 541.386.6977


"Fly Fish the World with Us"

No comments :

Post a Comment

  © 'and' Steelhead.com Mike Prine 2009-2014

Back to TOP