Aug 31, 2020

On the Hunt - Warm Water and Fly Rods


Do you warm water fish with fly rods? 

I've got to say in the past decade I can count on one hand the total number of fly anglers I've witnessed warmwater fishing with a fly rod on my local lake meanwhile on the trout stream you have to set up camp and claim your rock. What's up with that! I luv fishing trout but forget the crowds! I guess that's why I do most of my trout fishing in the winter time.


I know what you are thinking. Well Greg, you need a boat and I don't want that hassle. I get that! But wait, I've fished all spring on warmwater without a boat and have quite a rack up of species including bass, crappie, sunfish, walleye and catfish. 


Topwater bugs account for a lot of bass but weighted crawfish and streamer patterns fished around rocky structure will produce the majority of your multi species catch. 


Mr. Walleye fell to my float and fly technique. He was positioned right on a vertical dropping rock face. Perfect for a fly to fall in and hang several feet down under a float. With a little wind movement and a couple twitches, it was game on!

So when your trout water has a larger angler hatch than caddis flies and your favorite steelhead run is being swung through tighter than a flea comb maybe consider your local warmwater. You might not only find some solitude but also some eager multi species.

Check out tricks and tactics in my many other On the Hunt Articles
Greg

No comments :

Post a Comment

  © 'and' Steelhead.com Mike Prine 2009-2014

Back to TOP