Apr 1, 2021

WADING STAFFS | Essential Gear for Safely Wading and More

Update: Simms Wading Staffs are back in stock...Find Them Here



When I was younger, a lot younger, I used to wade the rivers with reckless abandon. I would use my size and weight to plow through rapids and just about go anywhere I wanted to. Fast forward a few years and some knee issues and what do you get? Less stability and a bit more carefulness in choosing when and where you will wade or not.

One of my most memorable times wading with no concern was when I was guiding Travis, the shop owner, and his brother Scott down the Klickitat River. Scott had hooked a hot steelhead that took us down to the next run and we had to chase after it. Well as soon as we got down river to the next run the fish decided to go back upstream to where we just left. Since I couldn't row the boat back upstream our choice was to either break the fish off or go after it. It didn't take us long to head upstream chasing after the fish. It was a dandy fish and worthy of chasing. Scotty as well called him wasn't that big of a guy, so I instructed him to come with me and we proceeded to wade upstream through the rapid with me holding on to his collar and on several occasions he told me that his feet were not even on the ground. I was literally dragging him upstream while he fought the fish. Eventually we landed the fish and celebrated a memorable instance that we still talk about today. He landed about a 12-14 pound beautiful steelhead. This was the last time I had the pleasure of fishing with Scotty before he passed away at too young of age.

Today, I would never dream of doing that again. I just don't have the stability to do so. So, getting to the point, after having incorporating a wading staff into my daily equipment list when I go fishing, I honestly wish I would have used one back when I had no concern wading anywhere. It would have made me even more stable at a younger age. So, what I am saying is that I wish I would have used a staff way before I "had to".
Simms Wading Staff - Adjustable and Convenient.
Made of Aluminum with a Contoured TPR Molded handle for
a secure grip.
I do not leave home without my wading staff. I am a list person. I make a list before every trip to make sure that I do not forget anything and my wading staff is usually in the top three items of the list. It's that important to me!

When using a wading staff I don't use it to "lean on" for the most part. I use it to help me recognize changes in depth of wader, or finding drop offs. I also use it as a walking stick on land, especially on the Deschutes River, and as a poking stick to clear the path in front of me while looking out for snakes.

Have wading staffs kept me from falling in the river? No, but they have greatly helped me to continue wading and fishing for steelhead with confidence. If it weren't for wading staffs I wouldn't be able today to fish some of my favorite runs. My intention is not to make this article sound like staffs are for old guys and old guys only. I am saying that I should have used one years before I felt I "had to."

These two Simms Wading Staffs DO NOT COME WITH RETRACTOR and to complete making your staff a useful tool, you would need purchase the staff retractor separately. A retractor is much, much nicer than just tying on a piece of rope around you waste and the main reason for this is that a retractor will allow you to let go of the staff when you are not using it and it will stay by your side. If using a rope, the staff doesn't hang by your side, it floats down stream below you for how ever long the rope is and it is super annoying because it gets in the way of your swing. Hope that makes sense.
Simms Retractor features a three foot section of Spectra Cable making
it extremely durable and an essential piece to complete your staff outfit.
Final thought regarding using a wading staff is to not let pride get the best of you and consider using one, even if you don't think you "need one". My hindsight tells me I should have used one years ahead of when I actually "needed one". Be safe out there and enjoy the outdoors, it has a lot to offer if we just experience it to the max.

Products:
Simms PRO Wading Staff
Simms Wading Staff
Simms Retractor

Search Wading Accessories

Life is short, seize the moment and have fun out there!








John Garrett | General Manager
541.386.6977

"Fly Fish the World with Us"

No comments :

Post a Comment

  © 'and' Steelhead.com Mike Prine 2009-2014

Back to TOP