Jul 26, 2019

Austin's John Day Summer Camp with Little Creek Outfitters

Every Year Mia and Marty Sheppard host summer camps for kids on the John Day River. Austin got to join in for the fun.

Here's Austin's report...

I was excited to hear that my parents had signed me up for a four night, five day float with Little Creek Outfitters.

Marty and Mia Sheppard are the host of the camp. This trip was for kids age 11-14. I just turned 12 earlier this summer.

We got on the river July 14 and finished on July 18.

A gear boat would leave before us in the morning and go set up camp while we were floating and fishing the river.

When we reached camp everyone settled in and we ate a great dinner. Then we would sit around camp talk, tell stories and play card games.



I believe from my personal experience this was one of my most favorite rivers to fish.
I've done a bunch of different fishing including redfishing but I liked this one the most because I was guaranteed a fish on every cast.


One of the days I was in Mia's boat rowing while she was fishing. She made a great cast and hooked the biggest bass of the trip. Everyone stopped on shore and Marty took pictures.

Most fish are not big but on a Redington Vice 5wt Fly Rod, big or small the fish are fun. I caught the smallest fish it was just over an inch. I caught it on a subsurface fly.


On the first two days I was using small black, yellow and orange poppers. The last three days I was using a subsurface fly. The subsurface fly was yellow with a white bead on the hook.

In the morning we had to cast 5 feet from the bank. After noon we were casting right up to the bank.


Smallmouth bass fishing on the john day river is fished by a lot of anglers for good reason. It's one of the best places for smallmouth bass in Oregon.

For more information contact: Mia Sheppard – Little Creek Outfitters
littlecreekoutfitters@gmail.com – 541-419-2105 www.littlecreekoutfitters.com

Austin
Gorge Fly Shop Head Guide &
Future "Bassmaster"


2 comments :

  1. Loved your article Austin! Sounds like an awesome trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this wonderful article. Last time my kids are went to the Summer Camp For Kids and they enjoy and learned many things!

    ReplyDelete

  © 'and' Steelhead.com Mike Prine 2009-2014

Back to TOP