Jun 11, 2019

ROOKIE - MUSKY ON THE FLY!




I know this sign was meant for the docking area, but I couldn't help but think of the gnarly teeth Musky have and how appropriate the sign was for me...
I'm not tryna get bit by a Musky...


MAYFIELD MUSKIES ON THE FLY!
by - John Garrett | Gorge Fly Shop

I was at work at the Gorge Fly Shop when I got the call..."John, do you want to go fly fishing for Musky with me on Friday? says Tom Larimer of G.Loomis." My response was..."Well, let me think about that for a second. YES!"  So, I personally have never been Tiger Muskie fishing, although I have seriously thought about it on many occasions but my schedule never allowed it up to this point.  Needless to say I spent the next couple of days before our trip in non-sleep mode, up all hours of the night watching YouTube Muskie videos, which only made matters worse.  They say it's not a good idea to go to bed and look at a small screen for hours because it stimulates the brain and doesn't help you actually go to sleep.  True that!  I would start to tire and my eyes would get heavy, but when I tried to sleep all I could see where Muskies in attack mode.

Anytime I get them invite from my good friend Tom, I try my best to make it happen, he and I are both pretty busy men and I was extremely happy to be able to spend the day on the water with him.  During the drive to the lake in Washington, we spent the time talking about equipment, how the fish would react to our flies, when you know they would eat, and solving the rest of the world's problems.  Tom showed me the rods that we would be using and I must say, they are PERFECT for Musky and the way we were fishing for them.

The G.Loomis IMX PRO M (Musky) rods we used where the 9' 11wt version and the 12wt version.  These rods have an extended butt section that allows you to rest the rod on the inside of your elbow to help eliminate fatigue from casting all day with the monstrous flies you fish for Musky with.  It also allows you to cast overhead with two hands by dropping your fly in the water behind you to "water load" the rod if necessary.  This casting technique makes casting the large flies easy and it also helps for distance.



G.Loomis IMX PRO M 1190-4 - LOCKED and LOADED!

THE ROD:  I must say, that after fishing pretty hard all day long casting a fly as long as my arm, my casting arm was not tired nor was I sore the next day.  The butt design on the IMX PRO M rods is brilliant.  Another thing I noticed right off the bat was that the rod did not feel like an 11wt rod typically would.  I told Tom that it felt like I was holding about an 8 or 9wt rod.  It's super light and strong with backbone to cast the flies needed for Musky.  This rod was designed with Musky in mind and what it takes to fish long days for them.  If I were a die hard Muskie fisherman and could go all the time, I seriously would fill a quiver with them, I crap you negative!


My FIRST and definitely not LAST Musky on the fly!

THE LINE:  Our line of choice was the Scientific Anglers Sonar Titan Full Intermediate WF11I, which has a short powerful head.  A match made in heaven with the right taper for turning over the big nasties and fishing off the shallow shelves and the edges of the drop offs where weeds could be seen and the fish could be found.  This is a perfect ambush point for the Musky to attack their prey and Tom was dialed in on this key aspect.  If we didn't see weed growth we didn't find Musky.  


Tom Larimer and his big Musky caught off a shallow point that dropped off into deeper water with weeds. I had a broadside view of the follow and the EPIC EAT! IT WAS INTENSE!!


Paying the Price for the Passion! Careful out there, Musky fishing can be hazardous!




These flies are no joke! To throw something as long as your arm, you need the rod to get the job done, this is where the G.Loomis IMX PRO M (Musky) Series excels.

All in all, my first Musky experience was a full on BLAST and I will do it again for sure.  The day on the water with my good friend and the great equipment we used made for a lifetime memory for me.  If you are looking for a Musky rod that will throw what you need to throw, take a good hard look at the G.Loomis IMX PRO M fly rods.  The Scientific Anglers Sonar Titan full Intermediate line performed equally as well. Check out the equipment features below.

ROD FEATURES:
  • Chrome single-foot guides
  • Chrome stripper guides (3 total for increased durability)
  • Cloud Composite "Magnum Grip”
  • Custom aluminum up-locking reel seat
  • Tube and cloth rod bag
  • Handcrafted in Woodland, Washington
LINE FEATURES:
  • Excellent turnover due to short, powerful head
  • Slow sink rate gets flies just below the surface 
  • For temperate climates 
  • Braided multi-filament core 
  • Sink Rate: 1.25 ips (Intermediate) 
  • SA ID – SA SONAR TITAN WF X I (X = line weight)
If Musky fishing is on your menu, next time your out there don't be surprised if you see me.  I can see why, after fishing for them finally, how easy it could be to become seriously addicted.  An affliction where no cure is needed.  Be safe out there and enjoy the hunt!


No comments :

Post a Comment

  © 'and' Steelhead.com Mike Prine 2009-2014

Back to TOP