Jan 10, 2012

Simms Flyte Jacket - The Perfect Inner or Outer Layer

One of those inevitable and slightly dubious tasks that I face each time I head out to a piece of water is how I am going to dress myself. It sounds trivial but there actually is a bit of thought that goes into building a layering system that works. Just the term, “weather” is indicative of fluctuation. It is interesting to live in a dynamic world where stepping into moments of change often necessitates a bit of planning. If you do not think carefully about how you are going to wrap your body, you just might become miserable and being miserable is not one of the reasons we choose to go fishing.

I like garments that are neither restrictive nor bulky. When I’m on the water, I need full range of motion and the only appendages that hang from my body are those that will help me on my task. I don’t need a floppy jacket that hooks every thorn bush or one that dips its loose folds into the water. I’d rather not have a cumbersome sleeve cuff catching my running line when I’m in the meat of the hunt.


Steamlined comfort and functionality!

At the same time, clothing that seems as though it were painted across your shoulders and then pops a stitch on the cast, is far from keeping you pliable for the situation at hand. Let your body do what it needs to do by wearing garments that afford fit and motion.

What else? Round up those layers that make you comfortable. If you have the right wear with you, comfort should always be within an arm’s reach. Your layers should all be breathable. Sweat needs a place to go other than dripping out of your pits and down your torso. Aside from making you “squishy”, moisture can drop the core temperature when you sit idle or a cool breeze moves in.

If you think about the different layers that start at your skin and end at the elements, they should grow in thickness and/or their ability to block wind and precipitation. This time of year, I like to throw on a light polypro shirt. Then, I take stock of the thermometer and try to get a forecast. What I think about mostly, is that outer-most layer that I wear INSIDE my waders. Being a steelheader, I appreciate traveling light as I work down a run. No vest or fanny pack. I prefer to keep some tippet, hooks, and a tip wallet in my wader pockets. I have a slender box of critters that I tuck into the inside of my waders and yep, I’m ready to go. Unless it’s raining, I’m not wearing a coat over my waders as they can be cumbersome and make it more difficult to get to my maxima. For me, the last layer inside of my waders is the most important. More than likely, it will be the barrier to the elements for the majority of the day.

So, if it’s cold, I might have a few layers on inside my waders: A soft lightweight, a soft mid weight layer and then another mid-weight layer that is wind and rain resistant. If need be, I might even add an additional lightweight layer for added warmth. All the layers breathe and the last layer repels the elements without being too bulky or restrictive. As I said earlier, this layer is the key and this is where Simms new Flyte Jacket comes into play.

The Flyte Jacket embodies streamlined comfort and functionality. Wear it with one layer or wear it with multiple layers. It is that perfect front-line barrier that slides in beneath your wader straps. It renders you agile, protected and it helps to keep your focus where it matters most. It actually pains me when I fail to get my layering right. For me, this little bit of preparation is all a part of the fishing process. Maintaining my own condition needs to as efficient as possible or else the entire process starts to crumble. It doesn’t matter which fly I tie on if I am not physically, mentally and emotionally in the game. Aside from all the fly rods, reels, lines and flies in your bag the greatest tool is really ourselves. The Simms Flyte Jacket will help to keep you sharp and accessible. It’s also a pretty nice looking jacket for those of you that don’t mind looking how you feel.

Check out:  
Outerwear           
Additional Layering Options
Socks and Gloves
Headwear


https://www.gorgeflyshop.com/store/pc/Sale-Closeouts-c38.htm

"The Gorge"

Gorge Fly Shop Team - 541.386.6977


"Fly Fish the World with Us"

No comments :

Post a Comment

  © 'and' Steelhead.com Mike Prine 2009-2014

Back to TOP