Aug 26, 2019

Sage 1 Weight Trout Spey Review - New for 2020


With the evolution of today’s shorter Skagit and Scandi heads the size of our spey rods keep getting lighter and smaller. This is the same case for trout spey rods. I remember when the first few 4 weight spey rods were introduced and we all thought finally rods light enough to fish trout with.

Fast forward to 2019, my work horse Skagit/streamer trout spey is 3 weight. Matched with a short heavy Skagit this rod cast a fairly large streamer and 10’ of t-8 to t-10 sink tip with ease.

Originally I bought my 3 weight to fish soft hackles, but found myself wanting something lighter.

This last spring I was about ready to pull the trigger on a Sage One 10’9” 2 weight when I heard the new Sage Trout Spey HD would be out late summer. What really intrigued me was that there was going to be a 10’9” 1 weight.

Keep in mind a one weight spey rod is about like a 4 weight single hander, the perfect soft hackle rod.

So I put my order in and waited. It showed up right as I was leaving for a family trip to Crane Prairie.

Crane Prairie is a large reservoir South of Bend Oregon. Crane is well known for its population of very large rainbows. Not exactly the stream I wanted to try the rod out on, but I it was my first opportunity to play with it.

I matched the rod up with a new Sage Trout Spey 1/2/3 Reel, RIO 35 lb. Slick Shooter and a RIO TroutSpey Scandi head 190 grain.
Normally I would tell you that a lake is not a place I person enjoy a trout spey, but I had to go play with it.

So one night I was taking the kids out in the boat I brought the new rod along. First I just spey cast it a little from the bow of the boat. It was a dream, light, comfortable, powerful, but yet deep loading to protect light tippet.

It was so light I cast it over head a few times. It was so light, it did not feel like it was 10’9” long, most of all it launched 90 feet with ease!


I rigged up a double chironomid rig with an indicator and started fishing. I spent about an hour casting this rod single hand and hooked a few nice fish, landed one about 21”. This rod did this well. I was surprised, I just don’t generally care for casting these small two handers single hand. It was a pleasant surprise.

If you want a fun little trout spey this is it!

Mike and I will be taking an Oregon tour next month where I will actually get some stream time with this ultimate spey soft hackle rod. I can't wait and will do a follow up report asap!
Trav


https://www.gorgeflyshop.com/store/pc/Sale-Closeouts-c38.htm

"The Gorge"

Gorge Fly Shop Team - 541.386.6977


"Fly Fish the World with Us"

No comments :

Post a Comment

  © 'and' Steelhead.com Mike Prine 2009-2014

Back to TOP