Jul 11, 2017

IFTD Demo Day - Orlando, Florida


Day One in Orlando kicked off a demo day event put on by IFTD. Set up on the 18th hole of a golf course complete with lake. Not only did we get to cast on actual water but the golf course fairway gave new appreciation for casting on the grass.

Several manufacturers set up for the event including Simms, G.Loomis, Scientific Anglers, Lamson and Sage. If was really nice to cast some rods in the outdoors verses the indoor convention center.


S/A displaying some new additions to the popular Amplitude series of lines including a new Bonefish, Tarpon, Trout and Anadro. Note in the Mastery Series is the New Titan Long. I'm very familiar with the standard Titan so naturally I spent some time casting the new Long version. This line really handles well and carries a cast with authority. I've ordered WF8 to use with warmwater froggin`. Look for a review coming soon.

I also got to cast the New RIO Flats Line. This was another line that really impressed. It's a great blend of powerful head yet carries well. Look for more on that soon too.

Breakfast provided by...
Waterworks-Lamson introduces Center Axis


You're going to see a lot of media of this concept from Lamson. I got to test cast it along side it's counterpart,  (same rod with standard seat), and can tell you they are quite different. I'm not sure how to describe it other then "different". I think a season caster will need some time to get use to the idea were as a new caster will be more likely to approve the concept immediately. Time will have to tell us.

Waterworks-Lamson Cobalt

In my opinion, if there is a "Wow Factor" From Lamson, the new Cobalt Saltwater Reel is it. Cobalt possesses a bold and rigid yet clean look. It features are endless including such items as totally sealed drag system and titanium hardware. Saltwater anglers will appreciate the spool lock down feature. Many more features than I could take in at the time. More to come this new serious contender for the salt.

Speaking of Salt...
I got to test cast the new Sage Salt HD. Like the Sage X, there is something really different about this Konnetic HD material. You just feel completely connected! You know that feel when you throw a fly rod into a backcast and for a brief moment you lose connection until the line starts to load the rod again? That loss of connection does not happen with the Sage Salt HD or the Sage X.

G.Loomis IMX PRO
I can't wait to get one of these in my boat. I got time with the 1-piece streamer version of this rod in the 8wt. The first detail I noticed was the clean look of the cork/reel seat. It's a very straight forward appearance of a rod that's designed to go to work, guide work! Than during test casting and actually fishing the new IMX PRO, I couldn't help notice it's ability to smoothly load progressively throughout varying ranges. I preferred a shooting head type of line on this stick which is exactly what I would equip this rod with for powerful streamer work. Watch for full reviews coming soon.

That's just a briefing on what's to come. More Soon!

Also to add a word of Thanks to IFTD  and AFFTA for arranging this awesome chance to gather and test some new gear. They put together an awesome event and i'll be sure to be back again next year.





Greg Darling 


"My Passion For Fishing Is A Lifelong Pursuit Of Discovery"

No comments :

Post a Comment

  © 'and' Steelhead.com Mike Prine 2009-2014

Back to TOP